Quality accessible holiday accommodation
on the NSW Barrington coast
Accessible holiday accommodation with all the features you need
Have fun with everyone in the pool
Make a splash! Enjoy a swim with everyone else in the delightful private pool with pool hoist.
Roll into the accessible bathroom
Accessible main bathroom with hob-free roll in shower floor, open wide shower & lots of space
Bring your dog on your beach holiday
Resort like, accessible holiday accommodation thats dog friendly too! Up to two dogs welcome.
Enjoy easy wheelchair access throughout
Wide halls, doors and pathways, plus easy-roll rear access ramp and accessible poolside cabana.
Accessible holiday accommodation doesn’t have to be clinical and bland
Seafarers Diamond Beach accessible holiday accommodation has plenty of charm and personality, with light, airy rooms, tropical pool with pool hoist and a relaxed coastal decor.
Plus, its accessible features and amenities make it perfect for:
- people living with spinal cord injuries
- independent wheelchair users
- assisted wheelchair users
- families with a member needing accessibility
- respite care services – short term rental accommodation for clients and their carers and for supported holidays or respite stays.
At Seafarers Diamond Beach accessible holiday accommodation, Respite care services staff are well looked after too, with a large private Carer’s suite with ensuite bathroom and sitting area, available for their use (There are two small stairs to this suite, so it’s not wheelchair accessible)
So we can best tailor your accessible holiday accommodation or respite stay just for you, in the Comments/Questions section above, please also let us know if;
- You require use of the separate Carers Suite?
- You’re booking using NDIS plan funds?
- How the NDIS plan is managed – Self Managed or Plan Managed ?
- Any other accessibility queries you may have?
- How you knew about us – eg What specific Google search, Facebook, At an event, Recommended, Email Newsletter?
All the features you need in accessible accommodation
Check out the floor plan
Seafarers Diamond Beach
It’s the wonderful accessible holiday accommodation you’ve been looking for!
Seafarers is the ‘Unicorn’ of accessible holiday accommodation. I’m so glad we found it.
Robyn and Graham, Newcastle
Easy to get to from NSW and beyond
Diamond Beach is an easy 3.5 hours drive from Sydneys’ northern suburbs.
Enjoy a trip to the beach
A beach wheelchair is provided for Seafarers Diamond Beach guests exclusive use.
Easy accessible holiday retreat
Your holiday won’t include worries about your access or facilities.
Fully self-contained retreat
Everything is provided for you – including linens & bath towels – just bring your groceries
Yes, we have steps at the front—but there’s a full ramp at the rear
A note from Seafarers’ owners, Dianne and Chris;
Don’t be put off by the stairs at the front.
There’s a nice, wide access ramp at the side and rear of the property for your easy wheelchair access.
You deserve an easy, relaxing holiday without worrying about accessibility problems before you arrive (or during your stay).
We’ve worked hard to make Seafarers Diamond Beach accessible and beautiful throughout for wheelchair users and their families.
We hope you enjoy it!
Seafarers Diamond Beach owners, Dianne and Chris.
What a difference a pool hoist makes
Get your cozzies ready, because even if you’re a wheelchair user that hasn’t been in the water for years, Seafarers Diamond Beach has a wonderfully accessible pool. With the solar powered Wymo pool hoist a key highlight of our accessible holiday accommodation.
Enjoy the accessible pool as often as you’d like – morning, noon or night. It’s lovely to drift away on a soft, balmy summer evening, floating in the pool, looking up at the stars.
How about a relaxed swim or some float time before lunch or dinner? Or make it a ‘splashing good time’ with the kids. An accessible pool with pool hoist makes all these things possible for you. It’s the ideal feature of an accessible holiday accommodation location at the beach.
So when you’re booking your stay at Seafarers Diamond Beach accessible holiday accommodation, just let us know you’d like to use the pool hoist and we’ll ensure it’s ready for you to have a splashing good time during your stay here on the NSW Barrington Coast.
And your dog is welcome too!
Seafarers Diamond Beach is not only wheelchair friendly, it’s dog friendly as well! Big or small dogs, inside and out. We love our dogs too – and totally understand that your beloved fur baby or support dog is a very important part of your family. And that they deserve a holiday too!
Up to two dogs (big or small) are welcome at Seafarers Diamond Beach, inside and outside, 365 days a year. And there’s no extra charge 🙂
Because it’s not a perfect holiday if a much-loved family member can’t join in the fun, right?
NSW north coast disability accommodation starting from $400+gst per night
Our rates start at $400+gst per night, with a two night minimum stay.
We charge a surcharge for two-night stays of $198+gst.
Rates vary depending on the time of year, with summer months, school and public holidays always being in high demand. Check our always up to date online calendar for availability and pricing. We strongly recommend you book early if you’re after particular dates.
Plenty of fun accessible activities to enjoy.
Whale Watching and Dolphin Spotting
Humpback whale migration season is early June to late November. Amaroo Cruises offer whale watching trips on its wheelchair-accessible 24 metre catamaran. The skipper and crew take particular care to ensure guests in wheelchairs get a good view of the whales. Sea Horse Diamond Beach guests get a 10% discount so mention our name when you make a booking.
Amaroo cruises also offer delightful dolphin watching cruises.
Fun Fact – Our very own Chris Denton, started the dolphin and whale watching industry locally, on his charter boat Ocean Adventures, winning a NSW Tourism Award for Excellence and featuring on Channel 9s Getaway.
Sunday Sippers at Black Head Surf Club
Fancy a cool drink on a hot afternoon, or just a leisurely afternoon wind down enjoying stunning views over Black Head beach and the bay? Head down and enjoy a relaxing Sundowners drink at Black Head Surf Club’s Sunday Sippers from 3 – 7pm Sundays. The club is wheelchair accessible. During school holidays, join in on a fun family Bingo night, or enjoy a Sunday ‘Big Breakfast on the Balcony’ during peak holidays.
Movies at Great Lakes Cinema 3, Tuncurry
Catch the latest releases in the fully accessible and wheelchair friendly Great Lakes Cinema. It also offers electronic assistance for people with hearing disabilities or hearing aids.
Black Head Bazaar
Held under the sheltering trees in Wylie Breckenridge Park (between the beach and the village shopping centre) at Black Head, Black Head Bazaar is a relaxed popular event, held on the first Sunday of the month. Wheelchair accessible but grass surfaces only.
Nabiac Farmers’ Markets
On the last Saturday of the month at Nabiac Showground, the Nabiac Farmers Markets display the wares of local artisans and producers. Enjoy a great breakfast, local music and gather your fresh produce, eggs, juices, preserves, skincare, gifts, arts, jewellery and much more. The venue is wheelchair accessible. Be early to nab some of the artisan sourdough breads— deeelicious!
Wheelchair accessible cafes and restaurants
Our favourite wheelchair accessible restaurants and cafes include:
- Hallidays Point Tavern, Black Head. Try the Paint and Sip events where beginners are taught to paint whilst sipping a cold glass of beer or chilled wine, enjoy local live music, Happy Hours, trivia nights and other special events. Check out their events calendar here. The tavern has a great outdoor eating area and childrens play equipment area – plus its got a dog friendly area as well! The bistro menu is varied and delicious too.
- Black Head Bowling Club, Black Head
- The Bistro at Tallwoods, known for its locally sourced coffee
- Black Head Surf Club. Don’t miss the Big Breakfast on the Balcony (summer months only) and the regular Sunday Sippers sessions.
- The Point Cafe, near the Library at the front of the Hallidays Point Shopping Centre. Try the chicken and vegetable pies — yummo!
- Lupos Pizzas & Italian, Diamond Beach. Dine in or takeaway. We love the gourmet pizzas.
Just a 400 metre cruise or stroll to the 24/7 dog-friendly beach
Black Head surf club offers free beach wheelchair hire (during patrol season) so you can enjoy the beach with your family and your dogs too. Enjoy the fresh air of a morning cruise on the sand, or walk the dogs as the sun is high in the sky. At any time, just watch the waves roll in and enjoy the serenity. At sunset, glorious pinks and amber hues dot the clouds and the photo opportunities are endless.
Accessible Activities E Book
We know it’s hard to remember everything you’ve seen here, plus there might be things you’ve missed. That’s why we created our Accessibility booklet. It’s full of great things to do and some of the most frequently asked questions. Download it here and then you can peruse it at your leisure
So easy to reach us from Sydney and the Hunter
We’re an easy drive, three-ish hours north of Sydney, located in the coastal village of Diamond Beach in the Blackhead/Hallidays Point region (just north of Forster Tuncurry) on the NSW Mid North Coast.
An easy drive straight up the M1 (Pacific Highway) north from Sydney, it’s then just 12 minutes off the highway along all sealed roads right to the front gate.
Diamond Beach is an undiscovered gem, just 15 minutes north of the hustle and bustle of the ever-popular seaside towns of Forster/Tuncurry on the beautiful mid-north coast of NSW
All the specialist disability accommodation amenities you need
- wheelchair accessible hob-free, roll in, open wide shower with adjustable shower hose
- adjustable grab rails
- accessible, roll under sink
- accessible toilet with hand rails and toilet frame
- queen master with private en suite (not wheelchair friendly), built in robe and wall mounted tv, with sunny pool views
- two additional bedrooms (1 x queen, 2 x singles) with built-in robes
- generous views to the tropical garden
- bedside lamps
- generously proportioned, roll-through, kitchen
- electric oven, gas cooktop and lowered microwave
- european style laundry with washing machine and dryer
- pantry, fridge and island bench with seating
- separate dining table—seats six
- large screen, wall-mounted TV with Chromecast (BYO Netflix account)
- three-seater leather lounge
- one electronic easy-lift leather recliner
- one additional single leather recliner
- bean bags for additional seating (or dog snuggling)
- extra-wide access points, doorways and hallways with no clutter limiting your access
- suitable for both manual and electric wheelchairs
- up to two dogs (big or small) are welcome to stay with you, indoors and outdoors
- dogs are welcome 365 days a year
- secure, fully fenced and gated yard
- dog bowls, dog blankets and dog towels provided
- doggie bags provided
- large, cosy dog kennel (for the outdoor types)
- private pool with Wymo solar powered hoist and handrails
- wide accessible back deck
- gas powered BBQ
- deck with sun umbrella
- wheelchair accessible cabana
- outdoor dining table under cabana
- wide access ramp (at rear)
- private off-street parking
- secure fencing including compliant pool fencing
- lovely tropical garden
- water feature adjacent to the pool
- lawn area
- large, separate bedroom with sitting area and ensuite
- accessed from the main living area and with separate access from the side of the house
- private ensuite
- Note – this room is not wheelchair accessible
- Easy-roll, wheel-chair friendly flooring throughout
- gas heating
- free wifi
- range of board games and puzzles for children
- iron and ironing board
- pots, pans, dishes, glassware and cutlery supplied for at-home cooking
- coffee plungers
- tea, coffee, salt, pepper and sugar provided
- starter amounts of household paper products
- quality bed linen, sheets, pillows and doonas
- thick fluffy bath towels
- electric blankets
- tea towels
- extra blankets in storage for cooler nights
- just bring your own beach towel
- mop and bucket
- dishwashing liquid
- dishwashing tablets
- paper towel
Frequently asked questions about our wheelchair-friendly holiday accommodation
Many people with spinal cord injuries enjoy staying with us. Seafarers Diamond Beach has been purposely designed to provide superior, resort-style accommodation for people with disabilities, including paraplegia.
Seafarers Diamond Beach has been designed as accommodation to be suitable for people with paraplegia.
For us, it’s all about empowering people with paraplegia to enjoy a holiday with family and friends, without worrying about the facilities and levels of access. If you aren’t sure whether our property will meet your needs, please contact us to discuss it.
We don’t have the complete facilities that most people with quadriplegia require, but please contact us to discuss your particular needs.
It depends. Every persons NDIS plan and stated goals within that plan are different.
We recommend you speak with your NDIS Local Area Coordinator or Support Coordinator to discuss what short term or respite accommodation options are covered in your particular NDIS package. If appropriate, we’re happy to provide you with an invoice suitable for NDIS purposes.
You can find out more information about using your NDIS funding for short term accommodation or a respite stay at Seafarers on our Accessible Accommodation for Respite services and NDIS participants page here
Off street accessible vehicle parking is provided at the front of Seafarers Diamond Beach. It is connected to the home by extra wide, easy roll, concrete pathways.
We recommend backing your accessible vehicle in for easy unloading of people, wheelchairs, assistive equipment and luggage.
We’ve made the deliberate choice not to install energy inefficient electric air conditioning. Instead, we make the most of the ‘natural air conditioning’ features of the building. This includes large windows in each room, an ideal aspect and prevailing cooling north easterly winds. This dramatically minimises our energy footprint and keeps the house at its coolest during summer.
Additionally, we provide floor fans in each room for use during the occasional, still summer night. Being located so close to the beach, also means that temperatures above 32 degrees are rarely experienced here.
Yes, all beds have space underneath them to accommodate hoist ‘feet’
No, our beds are comfortable standard residential beds.
Stainless steel and adjustable, suction-type handrails are provided in the main, wheelchair friendly bathroom.